More and more companies are planning to adopt cloud-based solutions. Moving to the cloud is a significant change, so getting rid of any doubts is vital. Before making the move to a cloud ERP system, assessments and considering the right questions will provide the clarity you need to understand your requirements.
To help you prepare, here are our top commonly asked questions about moving from an existing on-premises ERP system to a cloud ERP system.
1. What are your primary objectives?
Identifying your objectives is crucial before deciding to make the move, as the migration process requires time, effort, and money.
- What are you hoping to achieve from cloud ERP migration?
- What level of cloud architecture is optimal for your needs?
- Do you want to reduce your upfront system costs?
- Do you want to simply the system maintenance and upgrade process?
- Do you want access to the most current ERP system functionality and enhancements?
- Do you want an ERP solution with an easy user interface that makes end-user navigation simple?
For optimal benefit, it is key to identify your goals and objectives before adopting a cloud-based solution.
2. Is your organization ready to migrate?
Companies can shift to a cloud ERP for various reasons, but it’s critical to evaluate from an operations perspective if you have the right resources in place. Assessing the current IT setup will help businesses understand if they’re ready to make the change.
- What level of security and flexibility is required for your business?
- What would be the expenditure your organization is willing to invest?
- Would you like to reduce the need to manage and maintain servers and infrastructure?
- Have you considered what data will need to be migrated?
- Have you considered the level of change management required?
These questions will help you understand if your business is ready at the foundational, operational, and financial levels.
3. What benefits are you expecting to see?
One of the main reasons companies choose to move to cloud ERP is the enticing benefits. Cloud technology is cost-effective and scalable, whether your organization is small- or large-scale, here are just some of the benefits you could experience:
- Cost-effective and flexible
- Improves collaboration
- Improved security and data sharing
- Simplified compliance
- Easy accessibility
- Reduced system maintenance
- Access to emerging technology
- Simplified upgrades and easier access to newest functionalities.
- Increased financial visibility
- Improved sales and service
4. Which partner is right for you?
Cloud migration is a necessary process that needs to be effectively executed, it requires personnel with the right skill set to understand the technology.
Before choosing a partner, it’s essential to consider:
- What services do you require?
- What services and support are offered by the partner?
- Will your data be safe and protected?
- Will your partner be there to support your organization both during and after the migration to a cloud ERP solution?
- How much experience does your partner have in doing cloud ERP migrations?
- Will your partner assist you in developing a migration plan and with your data migration requirements?
- Does your partner have the experience necessary to assist you with any required integrations, 3rd party applications or customizations?
- Will you partner with you to provide your staff with the training required on a new cloud ERP system
5. Do you need additional IT support?
Many companies often ask if they need to hire additional IT staff for the migration. It entirely depends on which type of architecture your company requires.
Although, having IT experts in-house can be helpful, choosing the right partner to handle your cloud ERP migration and related processes can reduce and even eliminate the need for any additional support.
Planning Your Move to the Cloud? We’re Here to Help!
We are your partner for everything Dynamics. Our On-Ramp to Business Central program will help evaluate your needs and current state in Dynamics GP, SL, or other on-premises ERP systems, and outline the best plan for migrating your organization to the Cloud.