In SharePoint 2013 On Premise, I was having some trouble with my search service. Initially, I was unable to crawl a site so I recreated my Search Service Application.
I fixed the crawl issue, but then we could no longer launch Query Builder from the site collection.
Error: Not able to connect to search service to retrieve valid settings
I found some good blog posts, which all pointed in the direction of permissions, but after auditing the permissions on my farm, I found no permissions issues.
I tried launching the Query Builder via Central Administration and was unsuccessful there as well, but I found that my problem was that although I had reassociated my new Search Service with my web applications by using Configure Service Application Associations, I had missed Central Admin. When I reassociated the Search Service with Central Admin, the Query Builder was back and we were able to successfully create a result source.
For instructions – see Technet – Add or Remove Service Application Connections – and don’t forget Central Admin!
#SP2013 #Search #Query
I’ve had a lot of trouble recently with connecting my PC to my SharePoint Online tenants via PowerShell. The process is fairly simple and this article is the best starting point: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fp161388(v=office.15).aspx.
Having done all the right things, I was running into the following error upon every time I’d run the Connect-SPOService cmdlet: “The Application ID (AppID) for which the service ticket is requested does not exist on the system.”
I don’t know what that means or where to begin with it, so I hit the web and found nothing useful. Ugh.
Well, today I got lucky. I’m presenting at tonight’s meeting of the Phoenix Office 365 User Group and have been spending a few precious lunchtime minutes prepping for tonight. In particular, the facility we meet in does not provide wired network access and so I want to make sure that my virtual machines work are going to play nicely with my wireless NIC today. I disabled my Ethernet NIC and am only on wireless now as I write this.
Somehow, that fixed the issue. I’m guessing it has something to do with my host (Windows 8.1) running Hyper-V and having several different virtual switches that share my wired Ethernet NIC.
I’m now essentially not using any unusual network settings and I’ve been able to connect to multiple tenants now without a problem. Yay!
I just called and talked to tech support at my ISP and the “The Application ID (AppID) for which the service ticket is requested does not exist on the system” message is occurring because I’m on a residential network instead of a business network. Looks like I’ll have to go to the office for these kinds of things. Argh!
I’ve found success in connecting to my company’s VPN for the last year. While that’s worked, it’s been pain in the neck to connect to VPN on and off all day. Today Max Melcher posted a similar article here: https://melcher.it/2016/02/for-security-reasons-dtd-is-prohibited-in-this-xml-document. Check it out. You might find success in some DNS updates and disabling IPv6.